What you'll learn
The Emotional Skills and Competencies live virtual training seminar will give you the tools, techniques, and approaches to become the master of your emotions and ensure that they are working for you, and not against you.
You will develop your behavior analysis abilities and enhance your skills in reading others through verbal and non-verbal cues. You will learn how to use this advanced competency to gain deeper insights into the thoughts and feeling of those you interact with and aid you in building constructive and positive relationships.
It will also develop your skills to enable you to read the true emotions in others to help you build and maintain constructive, successful relationships.
You will learn how to read facial expressions, plus the other four channels, that we need to pay attention to in others if we really want to know what they are saying: body language, voice, verbal style, and the actual words spoken/written. You will practice and hone those skills in a safe environment with a Paul Ekman International Approved Master Trainer.
This live virtual program is centered on cutting-edge behavioral science and will prepare you with the knowledge, understanding, skills, and application of emotional competencies. The course is designed to help you become aware of your own emotions (before they get you into any trouble!), and the emotions of those around you.
Based on Dr. Ekman’s science and leading-edge training methodology you will use the emotional timeline from trigger… to impulse… to action to understand the challenges and skills around awareness through that process.
The wide applications and benefits of this emotion-based training are outlined by Dr. Ekman as follows:
“In any transaction that matters whether it’s between lovers, between parent and child, between salesman and client, between doctor and patient, between suspect and interrogator, between adversaries at an election, emotion is what we’re looking for. Emotions tell us what matters.” – Paul Ekman.
Virtual Program Outline
- 3 Weekly Live Seminars (4 Hours Each).
- Free subscription to Paul Ekman Micro Expression and Subtle Expression online training tool.
- Weekly practice experiences to integrate the new material.
Who this course is for
Whether you’re a leader, hiring manager, negotiator, facilitator, parent or therapist – interacting constructively with others is vital to the success of building relationships and improving mental well-being.
- Recognize and Manage your Own Emotions
- Improve your Ability to Identify Emotions in Others
- Develop Powerful Strategies for building Productive Relationships
During this course you will
- Cover a brief history of emotions and why they are vital to our survival
- Adopt a simple framework for developing your emotional skills
- Develop your ability to analyze the verbal and non-verbal behaviors of others using real participants in live exercises
- Learn how to spot Micro Expressions and Subtle Expressions using Dr. Paul Ekman’s pioneering training techniques
- Employ an effective conversation management model, so you are equipped for all types of encounters
After this course you will
- Understand how emotions work
- Know your emotional triggers and how to manage them
- Be aware of emotional impulses from the outset
- Respond to emotionally charged situations, and not react impulsively towards them
- Be able to read emotions in others through their verbal and non-verbal behaviors
- Understand the emotions of others more insightfully
- Use your new skills to develop constructive and positive relationships
Paul Ekman Certificate. All attendees receive a graded Certificate signed by Dr. Paul Ekman on completion of the course.
FAQs • Frequently Asked Questions
Our approach is unique in that all our work is rooted in firm science and it is the only training available outside of the Paul Ekman Group that is endorsed by Dr Paul Ekman. You will know if it is Paul Ekman approved as you will see the Paul Ekman logo.
Who is Paul Ekman?
The TV program ‘Lie to Me’ catapulted Paul Ekman to the world stage. He served as the scientific advisor for the program and it helped popularize some of the science he has spent his career researching. Dr Paul Ekman has spent 40 years researching human emotions and deception detection. Today this pioneer’s findings are central to what we understand about emotional intelligence and credibility assessment. His extensive scientific research has him regarded as one of the most eminent psychologists of the 20th Century, and his ability to read others has earned him the reputation of ‘the best human lie detector in the world’. Some of Ekman’s recent work emerges from his close relationship with the Dalai Lama, who he has spent more than fifty hours in one-on-one conversation with. This undertaking marks Ekman’s trajectory from establishing universals in the expressions of emotion to elucidating individual differences in how emotions are experienced.
About the instructor
Irvine Nugent, Ph.D. • Behavioral Analysis Expert
Irvine possesses fifteen-plus years in senior leadership roles in various organizations. Dr. Nugent is an approved Paul Ekman International Trainer and offers a wide range of workshops in the areas of emotional intelligence, nonverbal communication, executive presence and lie detection which are based on the practical application of scientific research.
Laura Scarfe • Paul Ekman International Trainer
Laura Scarfe has over eleven years of experience as a corporate trainer, with a background in public and private sector procurement. Laura is an certified Paul Ekman International Trainer who delivers workshops in areas such as non-verbal behaviour, emotional intelligence, procurement and influencing globally for many multinational organisations.