What you'll learn
This live virtual course will teach you how to read and evaluate others through their verbal and nonverbal behaviors and use this skill to accurately evaluate their credibility or uncover any deception.
During this program you will go far beyond just analyzing the words, you will learn how to read and interpret all 5 core channels of communication and how these can be used to expose the true thoughts of others.
- The 5 core channels of communication are:
- Facial expressions,
- Body language,
- The voice (pitch, tone, and volume)
- Verbal style (the way a person talks)
- Verbal content (the words a person uses)
As well as the unique, five channel approach to training you will also learn about memory, and how you can work out whether a statement of an event is remembered or being constructed through scientific content analysis.
- Identify Hidden Messages and Deception in Others
- Enhance your Ability to Analyze Verbal and Nonverbal Behavioral Cues
- Develop Robust Questioning Strategies to Elicit Valuable Information from Others
In most interactions, individuals put too much emphasis on the spoken words. This approach results in a significant loss of information and is ineffective in assessing the credibility of others.
The Evaluating Truthfulness and Credibility course covers the psychological models behind truth and lies, plus the skills required to identify ‘Hotspots’ (instances when the strain between what we are thinking and what we are feeling produce observable/audible leakage across the five channels).
The course is designed to help you to read and evaluate the degree of truthfulness and credibility in what others are communicating to you.
Virtual Program Outline
- 4 Weekly Live Seminars (4 Hours Each).
- Free subscription to Paul Ekman Micro Expression and Subtle Expression online training tool.
- Weekly practice experiences to integrate the new material.
Who this course is for
If your role requires you to have a firm grasp of the truth, seek out deception, and obtain the full story, then Evaluating truthfulness and Credibility is the course for you.
The courses are enriched with unique content, using videos of truth-tellers and liars from high-stake contexts such as international Embassy visa applications, scientifically validated experiments conducted by Prof Paul Ekman himself and extracts of CEOs from commercial investment contexts. Attendees of this course will also use live practice sessions to build knowledge, skills and application with high-quality feedback from the Paul Ekman Approved Trainers.
During this course you will:
- Identify the importance of baselines and when they occur
- Take a structured approach to the detection of leakage
- Identify and evaluate ‘hotspots’
- Carry out hypothesis testing
- Identify and evaluate clues to lying and truth telling
- Adopt active listening and observation skills
- Utilize these skills to evaluate truthfulness and credibility
After this course you will:
- Analyze the psychological processes that occur when people lie
- Develop your ability to assess the credibility of others through their verbal and non-verbal behaviors
- Practice and hone your deception detection skills using real participants and live exercises
- Learn how to spot hidden displays of emotions through a person’s Micro facial expressions using Dr. Paul Ekman’s pioneering training technique
- Employ an effective interviewing model that will enable you to elicit valuable information from others
Paul Ekman Certificate. All attendees receive a graded Certificate signed by Dr. Paul Ekman on completion of the course.
FAQs • Frequently Asked Questions
We are looking for emerging leaders who are ambitious about advancing their corporate careers. We also want people who are passionate about developing their own skillset in learning about how to detect lying.
- A manager who wants an advantage when dealing with VIPs in a corporate environment?
- An emerging leader who is ambitious about advancing your career?
- A sales professional who wants to overcome objections without wasting time on excuses?
- A self-improvement enthusiast who loves psychology and wants to develop your skillset?
- An executive who deals with client and/or supplier negotiations?
- A key accounts manager who wants help retaining important clients?
- An HR manager who deals with multiple staff members daily?
- A head-of-security who often uses soft interrogation to get to the truth?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you are perfect for our lie detection classes, which will transform you into someone who automatically reads the subtle signs that indicate either truth or deception.
The Lie to Me TV series was inspired by the work of Dr. Paul Ekman and his reputation as the world best lie catcher. Dr. Ekman played a key role in the production of the show and consulted the writers and actors on how best to portray the science of non-verbal behavior and deception. This resulted in much of what you see on Lie to Me (particularly in Season’s 1 and 2) being heavily rooted in science.
However, the show was meant for entertainment first, science second. Therefore to correct any of the creative freedom exercised by the writers, Dr. Ekman kept an episode by episode Blog where he would differentiate the facts from the myths.
You can find these Blog’s here.
Our approach is unique in that all our work is rooted in firm science and it is the only training available that is endorsed by Dr. Paul Ekman. You will know if it is Paul Ekman approved as you will see the Paul Ekman logo. Some providers are geared to interrogation – we are different in that we do not encourage a confession, but instead try to gain enough trust by understanding the subject’s emotional state so that they will feel comfortable enough to talk to us. Our research shows the more they talk the more likely you can correctly evaluate credibility. We provide training in reading micro expressions and subtle expressions to assist in determining whether a person is giving you truthful or false information. We recommend you read both of Dr. Ekman’s books: Telling Lies (2009) and Emotions Revealed (2009) for additional information.
Who is Paul Ekman?
The TV program ‘Lie to Me’ catapulted Paul Ekman to the world stage. He served as the scientific advisor for the program and it helped popularize some of the science he has spent his career researching. Dr Paul Ekman has spent 40 years researching human emotions and deception detection. Today this pioneer’s findings are central to what we understand about emotional intelligence and credibility assessment. His extensive scientific research has him regarded as one of the most eminent psychologists of the 20th Century, and his ability to read others has earned him the reputation of ‘the best human lie detector in the world’. Some of Ekman’s recent work emerges from his close relationship with the Dalai Lama, who he has spent more than fifty hours in one-on-one conversation with. This undertaking marks Ekman’s trajectory from establishing universals in the expressions of emotion to elucidating individual differences in how emotions are experienced.
About the instructor
Irvine Nugent, Ph.D. • Behavioral Analysis Expert
Irvine possesses fifteen-plus years in senior leadership roles in various organizations. Dr. Nugent is an approved Paul Ekman International Trainer and offers a wide range of workshops in the areas of emotional intelligence, nonverbal communication, executive presence and lie detection which are based on the practical application of scientific research.
Laura Scarfe • Paul Ekman International Trainer
Laura Scarfe has over eleven years of experience as a corporate trainer, with a background in public and private sector procurement. Laura is an certified Paul Ekman International Trainer who delivers workshops in areas such as non-verbal behaviour, emotional intelligence, procurement and influencing globally for many multinational organisations.
All Live Sessions
– February 4, 2021 – 12pm-4pm US EST
– February 11, 2021 – 12pm-4pm US EST
– February 18, 2021 – 12pm-4pm US EST
– February 25, 2021 – 12pm-4pm US EST